Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Trayvon Martin

After the George Zimmerman acquittal in the Trayvon Martin 2nd degree murder trial, I figured that a 24-hour cooling off period would be needed before I commented - as if my comments are needed.

TrayvonI was immediately furious, but here, 72 hours later, I think I understand better what happened. Chris Hallquist has a good summary of what can be said about “our typical liberal reaction” to the wrongful death of an unarmed black teenager. Read the comments - they're also mostly insightful.

Here’s how it boils down:
  1. Zimmerman was charged with Second Degree Murder
  2. The judge also offered a lesser ruling of Manslaughter
  3. there was reasonable doubt as to both charges, so that either ruling could not be obtained
  4. the “reasonable doubt” criteria is what keeps our judicial system one of the more liberal ones in the world - racial bias notwithstanding
  5. no one disputes that Zimmerman shot Martin
  6. a negligent homicide or involuntary manslaughter verdict might have been attainable, but was not charged

I’m still angry, sad and frustrated over the killing of Trayvon Martin, and Saturday’s acquittal of George Zimmerman, but I understand why it resolved itself that way.

Rest in Peace Trayvon.

No comments:

Post a Comment